Feb 19, 2020
Jeff Orlowski is a documentary filmmaker whose latest film,
The Social Dilemma, premiered at the 2020 Sundance Film
Festival. The film weaves interviews with tech founders into
dramatically portrayed scenes with Hollywood actors to reveal
disturbing information about how technology shapes and manipulates
society. Jeff won an Emmy for his debut documentary, Chasing
Ice, which follows one man’s mission to change the tide of
history by gathering undeniable evidence of our changing planet.
His second documentary, Chasing Coral, documents the
vanishing coral reefs around the world.
What you will learn:
- How his experience at camp as a child shaped his world
- How the 9/11 terrorist attacks, which occurred four blocks from
his high school, influenced his education and career trajectory as
- How his friendship with anthropologist and primatologist Jane
Goodall influenced his educational choices, as well as his approach
- How listening to Jane Goodall’s lectures numerous times taught
him the importance of giving audiences hope when telling a story of
- How his math and science background helped him on location as a
documentarian in remote parts of the world.
- How the connections he made as a student at Stanford University
allowed him unique access into the tech world for purposes of
interviewing the subjects of his latest film, The Social
- Why he doesn’t label himself a documentary filmmaker, even
though he has directed four documentaries.
- The funding challenges facing documentary filmmakers.