Jun 24, 2020
Meredith O’Connor is a pop star,
anti-bullying activist, and international spokesperson on mental
health awareness. Her hit song Celebrity went viral on YouTube in 2013, with more than 2
million views, followed up by The Game, about bullying. This led to a world tour,
being featured on Radio Disney and Teen Nick, and eventually an
invitation to the United Nations to speak on the topic of
What you will learn:
- How Meredith defied critics
early in her career and proved that there is a sizable audience for
songs with positive messages.
- How her own struggles with OCD
inspired her to become the role model she wished she had growing
- Her thoughts on how widespread
COVID anxieties could lead to the destigmatization of mental
- The significance of empathy and
education about mental illness, especially for the parents of
- How international success
helped show her that no one is alone in their suffering, and made
her resolve to help those feeling isolated even
- How she handles the pressures
of being in the public spotlight while managing pre-existing mental
- The influence Broadway had on
her vocal style growing up and how she transitioned to pop
- How she collaborates in the
songwriting process with her co-writer Heather Holly.
- What it was like learning to
play the guitar after receiving a record contract.
- The advice she would give young
people who wish to pursue music professionally.
- Why she chooses to embrace
social media instead of viewing it as toxic.