May 20, 2020
Bob Sáenz is an actor and
screenwriter known for Extracurricular Activities
(2019)(now streaming on Amazon
Prime), The Right
Girl (2015), and
Help for the
Holidays (2012). He is
also the author of the 2019 book That’s Not The Way It Works: A no-nonsense
guide to the craft and business of
What you will learn:
- How Bob broke into television
and screenwriting at the age of 40.
- What he learned as an extra and
actor on Nash Bridges that helped him as a
- How he navigated his way
through a creative dry spell.
- What it was like seeing his
get made into a film 18 years after he wrote it.
- How to endure an industry of
- Why the idea of “Hollywood” is
- How there are no hard and fast
rules or formulas when writing a screenplay, as long as the story
- The importance of writing to
budget and being flexible with screenplay changes.
- What it’s like writing for
television and how American television has transformed in recent
- The necessity of taking
assigned writing jobs, and the rarity of a successful original spec
- How accessible writing for
television is now that streaming services are producing more
content than ever.
- Why Bob considers it a miracle
that any film gets made, and the reason he would never want to be a
- Advice he would give young
people aspiring to work in the film industry.