Feb 5, 2020
Mai Leisz (pronounced Lease) is a “melodic” bass player and
composer from the post-soviet country, Estonia. In 2010 she moved
to Sweden to hone her craft, where she started her own jazz-fusion
group, MaiGroup. In 2015, a musician touring with Jackson
Browne heard Mai busking in the subways of Stockholm. The next
night, Mai sat in with Jackson Browne on stage. This led to her
writing and performing with other music legends, like David Crosby,
and eventually moving to Los Angeles where she continues to write
and perform. Mai’s most recent album, Metamorphosis, was released
What you will learn:
- How being introduced to music at a young age influenced her
- Why she studied jazz over other musical genres and how that
helped her become more malleable musically.
- How a series of seemingly wrong turns and mistakes resulted in
her performing with Jackson Browne.
- What she finds most inspiring about musical icons like David
Crosby and Paul McCartney.
- What it was like to meet Paul McCartney in a rehearsal
- Why enjoys playing fretless basses.
- What it means to play the bass “melodically.”
- Why she chose the bass over other instruments.
- What she finds most challenging and frustrating about the music
- Where she sees herself in the next five years in terms of her